Thursday, November 3, 2011

Enlightenment from Day 1

A few weeks ago I had my first day of substitute teaching, and despite all the build up it was rather peaceful and enjoyable.  The joys of being prepared.  Here is the advice I gleaned for myself after day 1.

Use the teacher's behavior management system.  I was totally confused by the teacher's behavior management system (there were sticky notes involved, a chart, red, white, blue, and green cards in little pockets, and a jar with marbles...).  In her notes it said: "look at the behavior chart, it's pretty self-explanatory."  While I was familiar with some of the elements, this system took it to a-whole-nother level.  I found it cumbersome and decided, whether consciously or unconsciously I'm not sure, not to use it.  While this class had relatively good behavior, they kept encouraging me to use the class system and made it clear that they would appreciate it if I would.  Lesson learned.

Learn names, when possible.  Classes that switch for multiple subjects makes this very difficult!  This class switched for reading, and math, and many of the kids come and go for Spanish or other special classes.  While I really like the seating chart idea I used (below), it was not practical in this situation.  With students coming and going and new students entering and sitting in different desks, the seating chart was ineffective.  In this situation I should have had the students wear name tags.


Intercept the first misbehavior, and react with consistent and sensible behavior management.  When students see that others are getting away with misbehavior they will join in.  Start with the first act, react quickly, firmly and sensibly.

Enjoy the small things in life.



Student gem of the day: "Are you our guest teacher!?  You're too pretty to be a substitute!"  While her assumption that substitute's aren't pretty was troubling, it was a nice gesture, none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment