Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Bone to Pick

Recently my blog and I were referenced thus: "She's a brand new teacher, and reading things from teachers who are fresh and shiny reminds you of the wonderful things you forgot about as the system hardens you."  While I think this was intended as a compliment, and I am thankful for the recognition, it brought up some feelings that have been stirring in me since I stepped into my first classroom as a student teacher.


I worked with many teachers during my undergraduate and graduate degree, a select few of which welcomed my fresh idealism, new ideas, and sweet naiveté with open arms, hoping to glean some new ideas, modern information, and inspiration from my fresh outlook on education.  These teachers, from what I've seen, tend to be the ones who have kept up on the newest research, are using modern best practices in their classrooms, and have not lost the desire to educate the whole child, not just prepare him or her for a test.  As I said, though, these are a select few.  I encountered many more teachers stuck way down in a rut they have trodden into a canyon that they could no longer find their way out of.  These teachers scoffed at my idealism, and brushed it off with an, "oh, you'll learn once your a real teacher."  And I have learned.  I have learned that their are still teachers that are fighting the good fight, still teachers that care about children and not tests, still teachers that use best practices behind closed doors, teachers that still have ideals, values, and a hope for the future.


When I run into these naysayers I simply shake my head and move on, taking my inspiration and motivation from innovators like those at Rethinking Schools, those involved with the Harlem Children's Zone, the Northeast Foundation for Children, and so many more.  New teachers, keep your head held high.  Don't let the patronizing and negativity lead you to believe that there is no room for idealism in education.  Where would we be without visionaries, researchers, and teachers who are willing to take a risk to better education?

No comments:

Post a Comment