Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Check Out These Buns!"

Yesterday was one of those days where it was necessary to stop everything and regroup, reteach, and reflect.  But in the moment where I felt like pulling my hair out because everything seemed to be going wrong, I was reminded why I love working with children it the STRANGEST way.  During this classroom meeting one student was sharing a mistake he made that day and this is what he said in the most lamenting voice:
"Today at lunch I took my hamburger buns and put them on my butt and yelled, 'look at these buns!'"
I don't know why but this comment caught me hilarious, but I couldn't stop laughing.  I laughed, my kids laughed, and then we had a serious conversation about what is appropriate at school and what is not.  Ok, so this seems like a weird moment for my career choice to be reaffirmed, but...  In this moment I simultaneously realized that kids are hilarious and I love working with them, and it became clear that the kids appreciated that I'm human.  I may have made a mistake, but it brought me closer to my students.  Always a give and take.

No comments:

Post a Comment