Monday, June 3, 2013

"Tomorrow's Alphabet" Activity


I used the book "Tomorrow's Alphabet" by George Shannon to teach inference.  I describe inference as using clues the author leaves and prior knowledge to solve the mystery of the book.  I also use the metaphor of putting a puzzle together: when you put a puzzle together you don't know exactly what the next piece will look like but you have enough clues to figure it out.
I read Tomorrow's Alphabet aloud, covering up the second page for each set.  (If you haven't read the book it goes something like this: "V is for paper-" (page 1) "tomorrow's... Valentine." (page 2).  I then have students predict what they think will be on the next page, stating what clues or information makes them think this.
After finishing the book I have the students choose a letter (or assign them a letter) and make their own "Tomorrow's Alphabet."  I used this at the end of the year so I focus on graduating, moving on, etc. in my examples.  I.e. "A is for child - tomorrow's adult."

No comments:

Post a Comment