Monday, October 3, 2011

The Substitute Bag

I've had so much fun getting together my substitute bag of tricks.  I'm lucky I already have an extensive classroom library so I didn't need to purchase books to add to my bag.


  • Substitute Bag, Box or Bin (I use a Dakine messenger bag that I already had, but anything with a secure top that is portable will work).


Classroom Supplies


  • Sticky Notes of various sizes
  • Pens (I prefer felt-tip for grading and gel for writing, both in various colors, but this is up to you)
  • Permanent Markers
  • Pencils
  • Dry erase markers
  • Overhead markers
  • Markers
  • Colored pencils and/or crayons
  • Chalk (you never know)
  • Pencils
  • Pencil sharpener
  • Transparent and masking tape
  • White out
  • Small stapler
  • Paper clips/binder clips
  • Rubberbands
  • Scissors
  • Glue stick
  • Rule
  • File folder
  • Calculator
  • Lined and blank paper
  • Name tags (either pre-made name tags, address labels, or card stock to fold in half)


Rewards/Motivators


  • Tickets
  • Certificates
  • Stickers
  • Small rewards (bookmarks, erasers, pencils, etc.)*
  • Mystery Box
  • Stamp and Ink Pad
  • Privilege cards


*Note: Many subs swear by using candy as a motivator, I refuse to use candy because I think it gives the wrong message about nutrition and it is a big no-no in many schools because of allergies and hyperactivity.

Personal/Professional


  • Clipboard
  • Substitute Teaching Binder: Reports and other forms
  • Small first aid kit (gloves, bandaids, CPR shield, etc.)
  • Safety pins
  • Hair ties
  • Chapstick
  • Travel lotion and deodorant (just in case)
  • Hand sanitizer
  • District information
  • Coffee/tea mug
  • Water bottle
  • Whistle (I also have a quacker)
  • Travel tissues
  • Snack
  • Tea, honey packets, and sugar packets
  • Small wallet
  • Plastic bags
  • Spiral notebook for notes
  • Glasses and case
  • Name tag
  • Mints
  • Lunch (keep it healthy and light)


Activity Materials


  • 2 soft balls
  • Lesson plans/materials in file folder
  • Activity books (See Substituting and/or Teaching Activities/Games Amazon book list and/or Substitute Resources post)
  • Tangrams
  • Bookmarks
  • Prop (I use a beanie baby from my childhood collection, puppets are great but not my thing)
  • Books (See my Amazon booklists)**
  • 6 number cubes or dice
  • 6 decks of cards
  • Estimation jar
  • Newspaper
  • Stopwatch or timer


**In my Sub Bag right now: Visual Illusions by James Kingston, Mad Libs, Super Silly Mad Libs Junior, The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes, More Two-Minute Mysteries by Donald Sobol, Danny Champion of the World by Roald Dahl, The Kids' Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst, and Falling Up and The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein plus the activities, games, and lessons in my sub binder.

Resources 

Smith, G.  Substitute Teacher Handbook.  (2004).  Utah: Substitute Teaching Institute, Utah State University.

Herbst, J.  The Substitute Teacher's Organizer: A Comprehensive Resource to Make Every Teaching Assignment a Success; Grades K-6. (2005).  Teaching Resources.

Rose, M.  The Substitute Teacher Resource Book (Grades 3-5).  (2002).  Creative Teaching Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment